Friday, January 2, 2015

Happy New Year!

Another year is in the books. As 2015 is welcomed in, like every year, we challenge ourselves to better ourselves by establishing resolutions we will likely keep for about 3 weeks. No one quite knows the origins of the New Year's resolution, however records go back all the way to the ancient Babylonians that would make promises to their gods at the start of each new year promising to return borrowed objects and repay their debt. No matter the origin, what is known is that they don't have the best track record for being kept. In fact, a study in Bristol showed that of 3,000 people that made resolutions, 88% of them failed.

So, why did I decide to share this information? I thought it would be a great segue to sharing my resolution!

A website I often frequent, SLR Lounge, added a Facebook status for us to share our Photography resolutions. It took but a moment to respond and simply came up with, "to establish myself more as a fine art photographer and print more of my work."  Well, what does that really mean?

I've been shooting almost 2 1/2 years, and in this time my biggest struggle was to figure out what kind of photographer I wanted to be. You see, I have a tendency of dabbling in many fields, and though I've focused more on one than others, I've never really committed myself to really specializing in one. As you browse my galleries (something I'd like to address), you'll see landscapes, cities, interesting people, and more. What my site lacks is focus.

Over the coming weeks I am going to begin to scrutinize my existing work, and clean things up. You will undoubtedly see some work leave my site. Going forward, I will continue to photograph whatever I please, and will even post to social media. What is posted to my site, however, will only be work I would want printed and displayed.

With the digital age we're in, something has gone missing; something special. I believe it's that feeling of holding a photograph in your hand or viewing on the wall. I don't want to believe that the works of art we spend much time creating are destined to be showcased the same as the countless selfies which are taken and shared every day.

Okay, time to get off my soapbox.

My point is my second part to my resolution, "...and print more of my work." Of the various items hanging from the walls of my home I have a mere 7 photographs. One is from my wedding day and of the other 6, how many do you suppose are mine? One! That's right, of the 6 photographs hanging, only 1 is something I have shot! And why so few? Honestly, I have no valid reason.

This appears to be a resolution I might actually be able to keep. Here's hoping I can be part of the 12% that succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment